Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Couponing, a lifestyle




Hey everyone, or ok the 4 people who follow me.


I thought I would write a little about my new lifestyle.


My name is Britteny and I am an extreme couponer.


I will not buy anything anymore unless it has a coupon, is on sale or is just super cheap.


I have found some very thrifty ways of living! I will tell you it has greatly improved our lifestyle.


I no longer worry about if the amount of food, soap, laundry detergent and toothpaste will last until next payday.

I can stress a little less about financail set backs when I know my family will still be well fed and clean.


Don't worry, my frugal ways do NOT end with coupons. You know the little instructions for, let's say, laundry detergent. DON'T use as much as they tell you! (They want you to use more and buy more) I found an interesting article that, long story short, stated you don't even need it, just water. I'm not comfotable with going without so I use half of what they suggest. Guess what happens, My clothes are clean, stains come out and they smell just as fresh! $avings!

I use the bare minimus of what I need to get the job done, prolonging the life of my products.


Another place I really save big is I send my kids to a school where they have to wear uniforms. Not only is the school amazing as far as academics and individual needs but the uniforms save me so much when it comes to back to school shopping. They have used uniform sales where I can get items for $2 each, or i search consignment and thrift stores, even yard sales and get perfectly good clothes for my growing kids and my boys who are rough on the knees. What is also nice, we don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe all at once! No need to keep up with the hot styles or Brands! Because they can't wear them anyway! (Even though i get those for cheap too!)


When I was a kid I wouldn't have been caught dead in a thrift store, well times change and when you are holding the checkbook you realize that, maybe your parents didn't actually hate you when they made you wear hand-me-downs. LOL


I get the biggest high when I find Lucky jeans for my teenage step-daughter for $10! And lucky for us she doesn't care about brands and the lastest fashions, when our 6 yr old daughter gets older I feel we will have this problem. lol.


I have learned to stock-pile everything from canned goods to backpacks. I have one little boy who is rough on his. And thanks to combining sales and coupons I shouldn't have to buy band-aids, ketchup, toothpaste, deoderant, razors, mustard or dish soap for a very long time!


Shopping is my guilty pleasure, hobby, past-time, whatever. I went a long time without it! Now that I have found a way to get my retail high in a way that benefits my family I am in Heaven! I used to only love the shopping that gave me somthing new to wear. (I still love it but now I do feel guilty buying myself anything) But now I can get that instant gratification from buying Milk and granola bars! Even school supplies!


Walgreen's is my favorite store for couponing and where I get most of my savings. I get so much for free or next to nothing, mostly on hygiene items. But you can get really lucky and get food sales too! We were able to out-fit the kids with all their school needs and donations for the teachers for pennies on the dollar! When I compare that to last year, I spent $60 on ONE child, just supplies! Now that was highway robbery! I doubt I spent half that much this year on 3 kids!


The only thing that set us back a bit was new shoes, because I refuse to buy used. YUCK! But even those where a savings of at least 50% for name brands like Sketchers and Nike.






I have alot more to learn in the ways of frugality but we have done so good. I can't wait to see what else we can do. I know alot of people do gardens, I don't know if that is for us but I think the savings in other areas makes the produce aisle hurt a little less!

No comments: